Feb 17, 2016

A Rash of Burglaries in Pearland


On yesterday's evening news Click2Houston reported there have been a series of burglaries in Pearland.  If you are like me, you never want to hear there are break-ins going on in your home town.

Now granted, these break-ins are not taking place in my neighborhood as of now.  They are taking place in newer subdivisions with really large homes.  As I listened to the woman speak on the video clip I knew I recognized her voice.  Unfortunately, I was right.  We are so happy she and her family were not hurt.

Warning...this is a rather lengthy post.  However, you will not be sorry you took the time to read it.  Promise.

This leads me into a post I have been wanting to do on some of the changes we I have been making around our home.  For a couple of years now I have been wanting to get rid of our home phone.  I know, can you believe we still had a home line that we never used!  The only people using our home line were solicitors!!!  I don't know about you but I really hate busting my rear to get to a ringing phone only to find out it is someone I have already requested not to call.  Grrrrr!!!  And it's always at the most inopportune time.  You are in the middle of painting, on a ladder, in the restroom, etc.  You get my drift.

The first thing I had to do in order to get rid of the home phone was to get a new security system that worked off of the cell towers.  Fortunately for me Nelly had switched her security system last fall and had raving reviews.  She was so excited about her new doorbell camera and how she can speak with whoever is at the door from wherever she is at the moment.  I laughed and thought to myself can it really be that good?  Now keep in mind our system was seven years old.  It was installed when Sweet P was a newborn.

I did my research and sent out a few emails for requests on security packages.  I made the decision to go with Vivint.  TechCrunch says it best "the experience is magical".  We are so happy with our new system and the fact that we no longer have solicitors calling because we no longer have a home phone!!!

Now keep in mind the hubs is not crazy about change but he went along with my plan.  I am vey happy to report that he absolutely loves our new security system.  It is so easy to operate and has our home way more secure than it ever was.  We now have a security camera in our doorbell that alerts us every time someone approaches the front door.  We can speak with them from our cell phone in the comfort of our home or while we are out and about.  The person at the door can only assume you are at home.  Can I tell you how much fun we have had with this new technology?  The grandkids LOVE it.  I wish I could share the adorable footage of them at the doorbell but I don't know how.  :(

We also have a video camera on the pool area.  I've always been curious as to whether or not anyone was dipping their toes (besides our family) in the pool while we are away from home.  Now we will know.  :)  Skinny dippers beware!

Have you ever had the feeling that you forgot to close the garage door?  The  alarm will let you know that the garage door is open and you can close it from your cell phone.  No more second guessing yourself.  You can check it and see for yourself without turning around and going home.

I like to leave the front door open (glass door locked) in the evening.  The alarm system will tell me the front door is open (in case I have forgotten.)

We also have the glass breakers, motion detectors, door sensors, smoke detectors, etc.  We can operate everything from our cell phone or the key pad.  Funny story.  Our installer (love him!) wanted to install the new panel in our foyer.  That's right!  Our newly remodeled foyer!!!  I told him under NO circumstances was he going to install a security panel in my new foyer!!!  He laughed and we agreed on a new location.

I cannot say enough about our installer, Jay.  He is so passionate about what he does.  There was NO hard sell.  He came out and explained everything he was going to do...made a few recommendations and immediately got to work.  I did not pay a single dime for any of the equipment or the installation.  He literally made our home into a Smart Home.  If you've ever been to Epcot you have probably seen the showcase they had on homes of the future.  I loved it and thought I would never have one.  Well we do now!  It is so awesome.

I can open my garage door from anywhere in the world.  That's right.  If you were supposed to pick something up from me and I forgot to be there I can open the garage door and not be at home.  How cool is that?

If we open our garage door between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. the lamp in our foyer will come on for ten minutes.  This provides a light inside an otherwise dark home and makes it easier to go into our home.  How does this work you ask?  It is called Z-wave.

Z-wave is the leading smart home technology that is inside everyday products like lights, locks, thermostats and more.  These products work together to  create the backbone of your smart home and provide you with the ability to use your phone or tablet to operate that help with daily activities like saving energy (thermostat and lights), keeping your home secure and watching after loved ones.  Not to mention the convenience it provides.  There are so many things you can do with Z-wave.  You can change out the outlet in your bathroom to Z-wave.  Should you leave your curling iron on you can check it remotely and turn it off without going home.  This would work with an iron, etc.

I was feeling rather mischievous when I was out of town and started playing with the lamp in the foyer by turning it on.  The hubs sent me a text and asked me if I was having fun?  He knew I was turning it on all the way from Flagstaff, AZ.  How cool is that?  I could have set/unset the alarm on him, raised and closed the garage door, etc.  but I didn't.  I only messed with the lamp.

I am so excited and passionate about our new system and I want you to be able to experience it the same way we are.  Oh and before I forget, if you sign up with Vivint be sure and tell them I (Debbie) told you about it here on my blog.  You and I will both receive a $50 credit from Vivint but you have to mention it....they won't.

All you have to do is call Jay at (385) 208-0402 (CDT) from anywhere in the world and he will set you up.  He may not be able to go and do the installation himself but he will make the arrangements to ensure you get the same package I have at the same cost.  And yes, it was his idea for me to post his phone number.  :)  So go ahead and give him a call.  He will be delighted to hear from you.

We are over the moon with our new security system.  Who knew an alarm system could be so much fun!!!

Take care,

xoxoxo

Debbie

















No comments:

Post a Comment