Pages

Jul 31, 2015

Crazy Christmas Lady




Let me just say that I have had veggie burgers in the past and wasn't really impressed so I was a little skeptical before making these burgers.  But I knew if Ms. Winifred made them they had to taste good.  She is an amazing cook and baker.

These veggie burgers did not disappoint.  They were so good!!!  I ate the first two while I was waiting for my sweet potato fries to cook in the oven.  Yeah you heard me....the oven.  And guess what?  Our compacitor went out on our AC unit.  It got up to 84 degrees in our home.  :)  Thank goodness we have a great relationship with our AC guy.  Nick and his dad were at our home 45 minutes after the hubs called him and this was at 7 p.m. in the evening.  They had our AC working within 25 minutes.  How sweet is that?   And of course I did what every Southern woman does, I offered them a glass of sweet iced tea.

We have a service contract with them to service our AC / Heating twice a year.  They call us to come by...we don't have to remember to call them.  Our heater is serviced before winter and our AC is checked for freon, leaky duct work, etc.  It's pretty sweet.

Last year they came by in September to check out the heating system to make sure it would fire up when we needed it.  Of course I had started decorating for Christmas early because of the weddings we were going to.  Nick's dad was pretty surprised but Nick wasn't.  He said his cousin had just posted pics of her Christmas decor on Facebook. Well the next day they go to Brooke and Brad's to service their heating system.  Nick's dad made a comment about going by a ladies' house the day before and she had already decorated for Christmas.  :)  Nick said dad, that's Brad's mother-in-law.  We still crack up over that!  So yesterday he was picking on me asking if I was about to bring my Christmas decor down from the attic.  I laughed and said not this year.  I think I will wait for October.  :)  I guess I could be known for worse things than the crazy Christmas lady, right?

Enough of that....here's the recipe for these delicious veggie burgers.


1 T. canola oil, divided
1/4 c. each minced onion, green bell pepper, carrot and celery
2/3 c. drained canned white kidney (Cannellini) beans
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 c. seasoned dried bread crumbs


In an 8 inch non stick skillet heat 1 tsp. of the oil.  Add onion, pepper, carrot, and celery; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and moisture has evaporated, about 1 minute.  Set aside to cool slightly.  Using a fork, in medium mixing  bowl mash beans and stir in egg.  Add bread crumbs and vegetable mixture; mix until thoroughly combined.  Shape mixture into 4 small equal patties.  Set patties on plate; cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 20 minutes.  In same skillet heat 1 tsp. of the remaining oil; add 2 patties and cook over medium heat, turning once, until browned on both sides and heated through.  Remove patties to plate and keep warm.  Repeat with remaining tsp. of oil and 2 patties.



And no, the hubs did not eat these.  He came home before I finished mixing it up and he said no way. He doesn't eat many vegetables so he had leftovers from the night before.  I ate the last two today for lunch.  They were so good.

I hope you are staying cool.

Take care,

Debbie




No comments:

Post a Comment