Pages

Jan 26, 2017

Decorating Mardi Gras Style




I know you think I am crazy but I just can't help it!  I am guilty of decorating our home for Mardi Gras before all of my Christmas decor was put away.  I couldn't wait to see it done.  For those of you that don't know, Mardi Gras is on February 28th.  I'll have more on that later.

#mardigras
#callmecrazy
#whocares

Take note of the good job I did filling in the holes (around the doorway) I had made with the stapler and the garland.  I filled all of them in with wood putty and painted the trim around the door and the window.  It looks so nice and clean.  And naturally I didn't stop there.  I went around and touched up everything that needed it.  I even painted the door to the patio.  What a difference a coat of paint can make. 




I know...the pillows don't match.  :)



I added touches of Mardi Gras decor in our foyer, family room and breakfast room.


I am loving this coffee filter wreath I made last January.  You can find the post on how I made it here.  It is so easy to decorate for any holiday or season and it is so cheap.



All of the Mardi Gras decorations were hanging on the Mardi Gras/LSU tree (you can see it here).  I didn't purchase anything new.  It's all old stuff.



The Jester was tucked away into the LSU tree.


Yes...I still have a tree or two up.





How cute is this?


I borrowed the hubs' LSU candle for my display.  I turned it around so you can't see the label.  :)


We have three masks.  The other two are on the mantel.  They are so pretty and sparkly.

  

I used the ribbon from the larger tree.





The skirt is gold lame fabric that is at least 15 years old.  It is a remnant left over from a party I was responsible for the theme and decorating the venue for 2,200 attendees.  I believe the theme was "City Lights".


Here is what I came up with on my first attempt to decorate the mantel.  I felt like something was missing...a drape or something.  So Brooke comes over and says "it looks like something is missing like a bow or something". 


 Right then it clicked.  I had just the thing to drape over it and I had ironed it the day before (even though I didn't use it).  So I draped it over the fleur de lis and it looks so much better.  I find if I am decorating something and I don't like the way it looks after playing with it for awhile, I walk away, look at it, think about it and it will usually come together (now that's a lot of its).


I used removable mounting putty to hold the balls to the mirror (and everything else).  So far so good.  They haven't fallen yet.  Fingers crossed they stay up.


The wreath is the LSU wreath without the LSU ornament.

#lsu
#geauxtigers

The large fleur de lis were hanging in the large tree in the family room.




We bought all of the Mardi Gras decorations at Stine Lumber Company in Sulphur, LA many, many years ago.  We would stop by on our way back to Houston.  To this day, we still stop by to see what they have.  We bought the fleur de lis pots around the pool from them, too.



I love these masks.



I used a purple, gold and green feather boa as my garland.  It was just long enough to reach from end to end.





These Jesters are not the prettiest but I think they totally represent Mardi Gras.



I had enough ornaments to decorate a little tree in our breakfast room.  I am loving the ambience it provides in the evening. 
  


I couldn't resist adding in these red crawfish.  Aren't they adorable?

#crawfish


A little mask for a little tree.



You can't think of Mardi Gras without thinking of New Orleans which makes you think of Bourbon Street.  Am I right?  :)

#neworleans
#bourbonstreet
#goodtimes



I am so glad I took the time to decorate for Mardi Gras.  Every year I would want to do it but once I am in the throes of packing up Christmas I just want to get 'er done!  So I change my mind and pack it all up.  This year I had a plan.  I removed all of the Mardi Gras decorations and laid them out on the pool table before packing up anything.  Doing this also helped me realize how far my decor would go.  Let me tell you...I get a little delirious when I am packing.so.much.stuff!   I often tell myself I am crazy.   I must admit the rewards are so worth it.  We LOVE having our home decorated, over the top, for the holidays.  Even the hubs.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed seeing our Mardi Gras decorations.

I am loving this beautiful weather we are having...low 40's and high 60's.  I'll take this any day over the warm weather we have been having lately.  Not complaining...just saying!

Take care and have a great day!


xoxoxo

Debbie











4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your house is decked and ready for a party! Thanks for linking up with Funtstic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thank you for your sweet words and also for stopping by! Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Love all your colorful decorations, Mardi Gras seems fun and that weather will help for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words...they mean so much to me! I am so happy you stopped by. I hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete