Pages

Mar 17, 2015

Billy Currington


The hubs and I went to the Houston Livestock and Rodeo on Saturday to see Billy Currington.  The weather was gorgeous so we knew there would be a lot of people there considering it had rained most of the week before.  There were about 74,748 in paid attendance.  As of Sunday, he was just behind Pit Bull in attendance.


Our timing was perfect.  We arrived at our seats just in time for the prayers and the National Anthem.  I wish my hands hadn't been full with my food because I would have loved to take photos of the beautiful girl riding a pretty horse, holding the American flag.  It was beautiful.

Our seats were great.  This was the first time in a very long time we were not sitting behind the chutes.  :)  It's always a little smelly there!

Here are  a few pics of some of the events.


Thank goodness for the clowns.  They play such an important role in keeping the cowboys safe.
  The wagon races are always fun.


Radio station 93Q won this round.


One of the most favorite events is the Calf Scramble.  With the drop of a hat, 15 calves are released into the arena for 30 4-H and FFA members to chase and attempt to catch.  Once they catch the calf they have to put a rope around the calf's neck and pull them to the center of the arena.  Sounds easy right?



Hardly!  As you can see from the photos it is very hard to do.  I wish all of my photos had come out so you could see how hard they work to get these calves.  Each student that catches a calf and gets it to the center is awarded a $1,500 certificate to purchase a registered heifer or market steer to show at the Houston Livestock Show the next year.  


The crowd gets involved by cheering them on to help encourage them not to give up.  It is very heartwarming.  There was a lot of teamwork this year.  There were students that did not have a calf but they were helping those that did push and pull their calf to the center of the arena.  It was very moving.



Another fan favorite is the Mutton Bustin'.  The youngest rodeo contestants, dressed in their Western wear, participate in the beloved Mutton Bustin' event.  Before the concert, a group of determined 5 and 6 year olds (cannot weigh more than 55 pounds) spring out of the chute holding on to a sheep, or mutton for a crazy ride.  The rider that holds on the longest receives a champion belt buckle.






There were quite a few girls participating this year.






This little guy won.  During the interview they asked him if he had practiced.  To everyone's delight he replied "Yes, I practiced on my dog".  It was adorable.  The belt buckle he was awarded was huge.


The hubs was familiar with some of Billy Currington's songs because I have played them while hanging around the pool.  He has heard some of them more times than he cares to admit.


The band started out with "I Got A Feeling".



  My absolute favorite is "Must Be Doing Something Right".  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song.  This song was my one request to the DJ for Brooke and Brad's wedding reception.  The hubs was told that no matter where he was at the reception, if he heard that song he was to meet me on the dance floor.  Needless to say we danced to the entire song on the third attempt.  :)



Here are a few others for your listening.












  






He did a great job on Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars hit "Uptown Funk".  Another one of my favorites.



Here's a pic of us after the rodeo.  We were waiting for the crowds to thin out.  His idea, not mine.  :)


Houston Texans Practice Field
 I thought the Ferris Wheel looked pretty with the lights on. 




We had a really great time.  While waiting for the bus, the hubs asked me if Billy Currington had a greatest hits album.  Hmm...I think someone has joined my listening list.  :)

Hope you have a great week!!!

Take care,

Debbie





No comments:

Post a Comment