Pages

Mar 31, 2020

My First Diaper Cake


Hi!  How are you?  It's been a while since my last post but I want you to know I've missed you and thought of you most every day.  I am praying for you and your families as we walk down a road we have never been on before and are coping with emotions we never imagined.

I thought today's verse in "Jesus Calling" was so fitting.


March 30

I AM TAKING CARE OF YOU.  Trust Me at all times. Trust Me in all circumstances.  Trust Me with all your heart.  When you are weary and everything seems to be going wrong, you can still utter these four words:  "I trust You, Jesus."  By doing so, you release matters into My control, and you fall back into the security of My everlasting arms.

Before you arise from your bed in the morning, I have already arranged the events of your day.  Every day provides many opportunities for you to learn My ways and grow closer to Me.  Signs of My Presence brighten even the dullest day when you have eyes that really see.  Search for Me as for hidden treasure.  I will be found by you.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
-- Proverbs 3:5

The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.  He will drive out your enemy before you, saying, "Destroy him!"
-- Deuteronomy 33:27

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will brin you back from captivity.  I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."
-- Jeremiah 29:13


I am always amazed how each day the reading is so fitting for what I am going through...year after year.



I want this space to be a place where you can find positivity, creativity and just maybe, a few ideas to decorate your home.  So let's get started shall we!

Our youngest daughter, Brooke, had a baby shower in February and I wanted to make a diaper cake.  I'd never made one before and had no idea how to make it.  I figured if I could decorate a cake surely I could handle a diaper cake!  I searched Pinterest and YouTube to learn how to make one.

My philosophy, when starting a project, is to have everything I could possibly need before I even start.  I can always return what I don't use.  So after a few trips to Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree, Zulily and Cracker Barrel I felt like I had something to work with....surely!

The first thing I did was spread everything out on the coffee table in the family room so I could see what I had.



I picked up these cuties at Dollar Tree.


These items are from Hobby Lobby and Cracker Barrel.  In case you don't know, Cracker Barrel has the cutest kid clothes ever!  They have a boutique look at a reasonable cost.  And they go on sale!


These outfits came from Zulily and they have her name on them.  The sweet doll came from Cracker Barrel.


The ribbon, paint and flowers all came from Hobby Lobby.


The second thing I did was hot glue an empty paper towel roll onto a 14 inch cake board.  I believe it was something like $4.00 for a set of four plastic boards.


I bought a box of Pampers size 2.  I believe there were 186 diapers broken down into three packs.  I ended up using only one pack to make the diaper cake.  I got really comfy in the recliner with a tray and rolled diapers.  :)  They smelled so good!

I didn't take step for step photos but you can see a few rolled up diapers in the top left hand corner of this next photo.  I used the colored rubber bands for each diaper and the larger ones to hold a bunch together.


After I finished rolling the diapers, I stood them all around the paper towel roll.   I was alone in the kitchen working on this so it took a little bit to get some of them to stand.  But you get the hang of it. I made three tiers but you can stop at two tiers if you want.


The shower invitation was the inspiration for the diaper cake.


I used three different sized ribbons in three different colors.  The base ribbon is a gold sheer, the second is a nudey (if that's even a word) pink color and the top ribbon is a pink color. 


The first thing I did was wrap the ribbon around each tier.  I layered the ribbons and glued them as I went.  The next time I make a diaper cake with multiple ribbons I will lay the ribbons out on the counter and glue them to each other before wrapping the ribbons around the cake.  It would be so much faster and easier to keep them even.


I added the large flowers next.


And then it was time for the fun part!  Adding in all of the details.  Remember, it's all about the details!!!  Definitely my favorite part in the whole process.  I used hot glue on everything except for the flowers,  They were tucked away into the diapers.


Brooke loves Tinker Bell so I thought I'd add a few Tinker Bells here and there.

In the next photo, I used a wreath and added the "bundle of joy" in the center.


I love these little paper flowers.  I added the diaper pin to the flower.


I couldn't resist adding the bunny.  Brooke's nursery was Bunnies & Bows so I thought it was a sweet nod to her.



Isn't the bee the cutest?



So what do you think?  I'd love to hear if you've ever made a diaper cake before?  Are you addicted to making them like me?

I'm signing out as it is 12:45 a.m.  :)  I guess I should have started this post earlier in the evening.  I forgot how much time goes into it....especially when you haven't done one in a while.  I hope you enjoyed it.

Take care and be safe,

xoxoxo

Debbie

















No comments:

Post a Comment