Pages

Oct 16, 2015

It's Gumbo Time!!!


Brooke had been asking her dad to make gumbo for a while.  He obliged and made it the day after we went to Crystal Beach.  He's such a good dad.  :)  You can find the recipe here.  The only thing he did different this time was he added chicken legs.  Some people believe the bones add more flavor.  I can't really say.  It was good both ways.


As I was trying to make the table presentable I discovered I don't have any fall table cloths so I chose to use this one.  I don't know if  you can tell but it is a Christmas one.  It was all about the color.

How do you like my cheap last minute candle decor?  The hubs could not believe I put popcorn kernels in the holder.  Clearly he is not up to date with Pinterest!


I baked a pumpkin bread in my fall loaf pan and a lemon cake. I served cream cheese icing with the pumpkin loaf.  It was really good.


And I was able to "check off" another item on my Fun Fall bucket list.  (I marked out pie and wrote pumpkin loaf.)


The hubs thought I was crazy for wanting to bake both of them.  He said he would not like the pumpkin loaf.  Well let me tell you he was WRONG!  He loved it.


The icing for the lemon cake had lemon zest in it.  My family was not fond of the zest.  The cake was good....just no zest next time. Ha!


I made potato salad and rice to go along with the gumbo.


I have to say we were very smart in cooking everything on Thursday night (after spending a couple of hours at Best Buy buying my camera).  On Friday we planted all of the flowers and greenery on and had a family dinner on Friday evening.  I was pretty impressed with us.  I guess you can tell our family is very close and love spending time together.  We are very blessed.

On Saturday we helped Brooke move boxes and furniture into their new storage space while Brad was working.   We got home at 6:01 p.m. and the LSU game had just started.  :)  No fancy tailgating food that night.....just leftover gumbo.

On Sunday we helped Tiffani out by picking up flowers for her yard and helping her and the girls plant them.  She was thrilled.  It's really hard for her to take three kids to buy flowers by herself.  The hubs and I were laughing imagining how it would go:

Mr. W would be walking through the water and mud.
Sweet P would be asking for one of everything.
Ms. A would be asking can we go home now?

After that we went home and planted eight more flats of flowers at our house.  Go ahead and say it....we're crazy.  I know.  I believe we had gumbo again for dinner.  Afterwards, we froze the leftovers to make a seafood gumbo a little later on.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend doing the things you love with the people you love!!!

Take care,

xoxoxo

Debbie






No comments:

Post a Comment