Pages

Jul 3, 2019

Our Road Trip to Colorado Day 2


Hi and welcome to Day 2 of Our Road Trip to Colorado.  If you missed Day 1 you can find it here.

Brooke and Brad had a surprise planned for me on our second day.  They kept teasing me the evening before leading me to believe we were going zip lining.  When we planned the trip, I expressed my desire to go zip lining so I assumed that's what we were going to do.

I have a fear of heights but I try and not let it keep me from having fun.  I've gone up in a hot air balloon in Park City, UT on two separate occasions and have ridden the gondolas in the mountains. Full disclosure, I was feeling a little scared but I fully intended on doing whatever was planned.

The "secret" was in Albuquerque, NM.  Along the way to Albuquerque, we stopped at a Starbucks and were there for quite a while as the store was packed.  It was a Sunday morning and everyone was wanting coffee.  Naturally, the guys did what guys do....they complained that it took so long.  :)

#starbucks
#coffee

Our destination was the Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway.

#sandiapeakaerialtramway
#albuquerque
#newmexico


As you can see from the photo above, it is very high up.  Here's how the website describes it:

"A trip on the Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway transports you above deep canyons and breathtaking terrain a distance of 2.7 miles. See some of nature’s more dramatic beauty unfold before you. At sunset the desert skies produce a spectacular array of color, and your vantage point from the observation deck atop 10,378 foot Sandia Peak in the Cibola National Forest affords an 11,000 square-mile panoramic view of the Rio Grande Valley and the Land of Enchantment. Located on the eastern edge of Albuquerque in the Sandia Foothills at the end of Tramway Road."


We bought our tickets and got in line.  There was a group ahead of us and then it was going to be our turn.


The group ahead of us boarded the tram and was on their way.  The next tram arrives and we board all excited to go up to the top.  Just as we were about to depart, a lady walks in and says "I'm sorry, everyone has to get off".  The winds at the top of the mountains were up to 29 mph and they were closing the tram until further notice.  Had we not stopped at Starbucks, we would have been stuck at the top with the others waiting to get down the mountain.  We were very grateful we weren't stuck on the mountain.  After the close call, the guys quit complaining about how long we were at Starbucks.


The weather radar showed the weather wasn't going to get better any time soon so we got a refund on our tickets and headed to Santa Fe.

Here are a few photos I took while waiting for the tram.



I couldn't resist taking photos of all of the beautiful flowers.






We had lunch at the Pantry Restaurant in Santa Fe.  The food was delicious and the restaurant was packed.  Definitely a local favorite.  I had the Pantry Club sandwich and it was delicious.

#pantryrestaurant
#santafe


From there we went to the Loretto Chapel to see the Miraculous Stairway.  

#miraculousstairway
#lorettochapel


I was so excited to see the stairway as this was on my "bucket list" for several years now.





Right outside the door to go inside of the Chapel was a tree with rosaries hanging on it.





The Chapel is beautiful.  These photos do not do it justice.








The original staircase didn't have any banisters.  I can't imagine the Nuns going up and down the stairs in their garb.  Seems extremely dangerous to me.


The staircase is beautiful.






We walked around downtown Santa Fe through the market and the various shops around.



Naturally, I had to take photos of the pretty flowers.


I really like the combination of flowers they chose.



On our way out we drove by the Santa Fe National Cemetery.



Here are a few photos I took along the way.  I am always amazed at how well they come out all while riding in a moving vehicle.




In choosing a color palette for our homes, all we need to do is turn to nature to see beautiful examples of what works well together.  Don't you agree?



I was so excited when we began to see more snow.  Little did I know how much snow we were going to see.  :)


We stayed four nights at the Cliff Side House in Durango, CO.  It was perfect.  We'd definitely stay there again.

#cliffsidehouse
#durango
#lifeisgood


I was "giddy" to see the leftover pile of snow on the porch.


The view from the deck.




The Cliffside House was so warm and cozy.  Literally!  They had the heat on for us when we arrived.





The chandelier over the table was beautiful.



The kitchen was perfect for what we needed.




You can see the entryway at the bottom of the stairs.




Brooke and Brad slept in the bedroom downstairs.





How cute are these bunk beds?  They are two queen sized beds.


There is also a twin sized loft.


We had a very comfy bed in our room upstairs.


I spy something LSU.

#geauxtigers
#lsu





While the hubs and I settled in (truth be told...I was taking photos before we got too comfortable),  Brooke and Brad picked up dinner for us at The Olde School House.  We had pizza and Colorado Buffalo Wings.  Everything was delicious!!!

We were so excited to have arrived in Durango.  Can't wait to share Day 3 with you.  It was an experience of a life time for us.

Take care,

xoxoxo

Debbie




















































No comments:

Post a Comment